Friday, December 12, 2008

Duty Parent Child Allah,swt.

Before I reverted back to Islam, I felt a very limited desire to care for my father. My mother, I always felt it was necessary to ensure her safety and security, but I had not cared so much for whether my father could get along. I had reasons, or at least I thought I had reasons to feel that way.

One day I was sitting in a coffee shop chatting with an old friend about my recent understanding of Islam and how I felt that I need to return to believing wholly in Islam. She asked me whether or not I was willing to follow all the rules. Well, at that time, I had not really cared to follow all of the rules that solidify my role in life as determined by Allah, swt.

A few months later I was faced with my dad's mortality. He became really sick and was on the verge of dying. I had not ever cared about my father's health because he had not cared about it.

Because of Islam, I look forward to caring for my father everyday when I wake up. I do this because of Allah, swt, and not just because it is my duty as a child.

We are all children of someone whether living or not. May we live to fulfill the duties that we have to Allah through our familial and community duties.

May Allah, swt, bless you with a clean heart so you can fulfill your duty with the intent to only do it for Allah.

Salaam.

No comments: